Austin Ten Drivers Club

Welcome to the Austin Ten Drivers Club Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-16 18:33:27

Andy Simons

Austin 10/4 valve spring

Hi - Can anyone advise as to whether it is possible to replace a valve spring on my 1937 Austin 10/4 open road tourer without the need to remove the cylinder head.

Many thanks

Andy Simons

#2 2015-04-16 20:46:06

6350_William_French
Members

Re: Austin 10/4 valve spring

Hi Andy

You need to be able to compress the old spring to get it off.  And compress the new spring with a valve spring compresser to get it on.  I can't see any way of doing this without removing the cylinder head.

from  Bill

You buy a car,  But you invest in an Austin

#3 2015-04-16 21:31:17

6515_Peter_Christie
Members

Hi,
Sounds like a bit of a bodge, but if you can see the valves through the plug hole, it should be possible to hold the valve head down while you change a spring.
Once upon a time I had (separately) an RR 20/25 and a Talbot AW75. Both of these cars had in their toolkits a tool that screwed into the plug hole with an adjustable hook down the centre. You could turn the hook to trap the valve either to right or left then tighten a nut to hold it. Of course both of these engines are OHV, but I'm sure the same principle could be applied. My Twelve has 14mm plugs but I can see the valves through the hole. Early Tens have 18mm plugs so you have a bigger plug hole to work with. I reckon it could be done. The valve springs are relatively soft but mind your fingers! You'll probably have to remove the tappet screws and nuts to give you room if you can't ease the valve from above to get the spring on.
Good luck! Peter Christie [6515]

#4 2015-04-23 13:48:58

peter martin

Hi there, I think the valve guides are inserted from the valve chest but you still have to compress the spring, cannot see how one could do the job without having the 'head' off. don't think it is possible to insert a vavle lifter through a plug hole with risking damage to something.

#5 2015-04-23 22:37:50

6863_Norman_Ball
Members

Hello all,
don't think there will be enough room to get the tappet screws and nuts out if the valves are still in place.
Taking the head off will almost certainly be quicker and easier than all that fumble.

Happy Austining
Norman

Board footer