Austin Ten Drivers Club

Welcome to the Austin Ten Drivers Club Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-20 08:00:09

Gabriel Filip

fuel pump austin12

Hi,can someone help me please-have an austin12-1947, and seems somethimes is cutting off the engine,when is running,i checked and seems to be fuel pump,how i can fix that,or where can buy one,thank u...

#2 2015-06-20 08:30:56

2574_Stephen_Voller
Members

Re: fuel pump austin12

Hi,
have you confirmed that there isn't a blockage either in the
petrol tank pick up pipe or tank to pump pipe.
This can be source of fuel starvation.
Regards,
Steve V

#3 2015-06-20 12:09:06

6515_Peter_Christie
Members

Re: fuel pump austin12

Hi Gabriel,
Start at the carburetter, clean out the bowl, remove and blow through the main & compensating jets, flush out the passages, replace the jets. Remove and clean the Banjo union and the tubular gauze filter. Flush out the pipe between the pump and carb. Take the top bowl off the filter, remove and wash the gauze filter with petrol. Clean out the sediment chamber which can fill with debris from the fuel tank. Disconnect the feed pipe to the pump and get hold of one of those tyre pumps that work of the car's battery.(You won't have a Lighter Plug so you'll have to use clips to get power from the battery) Blow air through from the pump end so you can hear it bubbling in the tank. Reconnect the pipe to the pump. Fill  the sediment chamber in the pump and replace the cap, checking that the rubber washer is sound and sealing the joint. Don't over tighten the set screw as the thread in the pump body is fragile. Fill the float chamber with petrol. Use the manual lever on the pump to draw fuel from the tank. If it doesn't start and run you may have to remove the pump and replace the diaphragm. You may even have to shake the car to agitate the fuel in the tank before draining the tank, filtering the fuel, and refilling the tank (after replacing the plug, of course). Seems complicated but if you follow this procedure you ought to solve the problem.
Best of luck, Peter Christie [6515]

Board footer