Austin Ten Drivers Club

Welcome to the Austin Ten Drivers Club Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-15 18:24:42

Steve Goodman

Oil filter return feed.

Hello all, I am putting an engine back into an Austin 12 Ascot but can't find where the oil return pipe from the oil filter located on the bulkhead on the passenger goes, the oil feed pipe appears to go from the distributor side of the engine up to a "T" piece which then goes to the oil pressure gauge and to the oil filter, then there is a pipe that comes out of the oil filter to a small flexible hose with a connector on the end but I can't find anywhere to connect it to, it appears to go towards the fuel pump.

Thanks.

#2 2015-04-15 20:13:05

2574_Stephen_Voller
Members

Re: Oil filter return feed.

Hi Steve,
this is a non original home brew affair, disposable filter systems were never fitted by the factory.

If not already done, the return feed would require the engine block casting to be drilled and tapped where it won't cause damage to take a fitting for the return pipe.

However, there is reason to be cautious in fitting this filter.
1. The oil pump is designed to operate at relatively low pressures and will be under additional strain with this modification, so needs to be in top condition.

Apparently there have been cases where the pump drive has sheared due to the additional strain.

2. you will still need to remove the sump strainer and clean it every oil change.

Hope this helps you to decide whether to proceed with the conversion or not.

Steve V

#3 2015-04-16 08:19:55

Steve Goodman

Thanks for the reply Steve, there is no hole in the block so I'm hoping it is blocked off somewhere along it's route but I won't find that out until we come to start it maybe later today.

#4 2015-04-16 10:21:43

6515_Peter_Christie
Members

Hi Steve,
If you can get hold of the April 2013 issue of the ATDC Magazine, you will find an interesting article on the subject of engine lubrication, including a section on the practicality of fitting a filter as opposed to a strainer in the pre-war Austin engines.
The piece was written by Tony Mealing, our Technical Guru, and is well worth reading.
Regards, Peter Christie [6515] (New Ascot owner)

#5 2015-04-16 21:04:41

2574_Stephen_Voller
Members

Absolutely correct Peter,
that was the source of my comments. wink

Steve V

#6 2015-04-17 12:31:41

594_Phil_Taylor
Members

Hi Steve,
I fitted a bypass filter like yours on one of my engines as I found a car in a breaker's yard many years ago with a petrol pump stud with a hole through the middle and an oil pipe screwed on the end. There was a tee on the oil pressure gauge outlet fitting and a filter on the bulkhead. However I removed the filter and pipework from my car after a short while because I had to heavily restrict the flow to maintain oil pressure to the bearings resulting in a very very small flow through the filter - pretty ineffective. It may have been a bolt-on accessory of the time!!
The full flow filter is the answer - if that is what you want you want to spend your money on. Unnecessary in my view. Just change the oil every 1500miles. Most Members' cars do not do more than this in a year.
Phil

Last edited by 594_Phil_Taylor (2015-04-17 12:31:59)

Board footer