Austin Ten Drivers Club

Welcome to the Austin Ten Drivers Club Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-05 10:18:14

Peter Bulbick

Austin 10 4 rear axle rebuild Setting up pre load.

Hi I am currently restoring an Austin 10 4 and have completely stripped the rear axle. I am rebuilding it but was wondering how you set up the pre load on the bearings within the diff as there are two adjusters that are accessible from the outside. Also how do I set up the bearings on the hubs.

Many thanks Peter

#2 2015-02-07 01:32:26

594_Phil_Taylor
Members

Re: Austin 10 4 rear axle rebuild Setting up pre load.

I was told many years ago that there was definitely no pre-load on pre 1938 axles. I do not know about post 1938 axles.
Just use engineer's blue to get the mesh right with minimum backlash. I will try and photocopy a Newnes' article on 10 back axles if I can find it!! There is no set up for the hub bearings as far as I am aware - just fit them. There are Club articles in the Technical Reprints on the rear hub oil seals. Do examine the woodruff keyways that there are no small cracks starting from the end of the slot on the thread end. Saves a premature halfshaft failure. Gently lap in the hub on the shaft,
Phil

#3 2015-02-07 17:22:24

6350_William_French
Members

Hi

This image from the technical reprints might be useful.
Check the axle where the leather seal sits, it is often corroded and needs a little work to prevent oil leaking into the brake drums.

14628089352_f8a509c2d3_b.jpg

from  Bill

You buy a car,  But you invest in an Austin

#4 2015-07-07 08:23:56

Cathy Vermeulen

Good morning from South Africa,

I browsed through all the posts trying to hopefully find someone that might be able to assist with finding a owners/technical manual for a 1932 Austin 10 Lichfield.

I live in South Africa and have no idea where to find someone locally to assist.  I am trying to help a passionate 21 year old to restore his first classic which he got as a 21st birthday present in April.

He built his own little workshop where he now wants to attempt his first Classic Car rebuilt.  He has the car, engine, wheels with brand new tyres, seats ect.

Is there anyway of assisting us in finding what he needs as he is so excited about this and I so would like to help him.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Cathy for Tyler.

Board footer