Austin Ten Drivers Club

Welcome to the Austin Ten Drivers Club Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-06 22:54:33

Gerry Howe

Intermittent running - fuel line?

I have recently acquired a 1938 Cambridge.  Running it today, it cut out.  Trying to restart it resulted in some firing and running for periods of a few seconds, but eventually I had to give up and push it back into the garage.

I imagine this is caused by a problem somewhere in the fuel system. I opened the float chamber which was empty. I tried disconnecting the banjo bolt from the carb and working the pump priming lever which eventually produced a dribble of petrol.  However, when I disconnected the hose from the tank side of the fuel pump and tried to blow it back, I got nowhere.  Is there a non-return valve somewhere in the fuel line?  Or is it likely that there is a blockage somewhere?

Any help gratefully received!

#2 2017-12-07 11:36:45

6515_Peter_Christie
Members

Re: Intermittent running - fuel line?

Hi Gerry,

I have had the same experience with my '36 New Ascot which is broadly similar in design to the Cambridge.

First, I would try draining the fuel tank (taking suitable precautions for safe storage of the fuel). The fuel is sucked up a vertical pipe to a union on the front face of the tank, where either a flexy pipe or a coiled fuel feed pipe is connected. Any muck and detritus from inside the tank is drawn to the bottom of the vertical pipe and can build up enough to cause a blockage. You should be able to blow through the feed pipe from the pump end without obstruction. Sometimes grit can get stuck in the coil of the pipe, but it should be possible to blow it back with compressed air.

Draining the tank should carry a lot of the detritus into whatever vessel you use to collect it. If you get a piece of cotton cloth to line your filler funnel you can strain the muck out of the petrol before you reassemble the clear pipe to the union on the tank and replace the clean plug with preferably a new fibre or lead washer.

If you clean out the sediment chamber in the fuel pump and fill it and the float chamber with fuel the engine should run long enough to draw the fuel through the feed pipe to the pump.

Make sure the cap on the pump and all the unions in the fuel line are air tight.

Hope this helps,     Peter C [6515]

Board footer