Austin Ten Drivers Club

Welcome to the Austin Ten Drivers Club Forums!

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-20 15:11:30

813_Peter_Winney
Administrator

Re: Trying to find an exaust pipe for a Light 12/4 1935/ 36

6515_Peter_Christie wrote:

Hi Peter W.,

My H/R series New Ascot appeared to have a sound (Club) exhaust system when I bought it in 2005. Within the last three months the down pipe has developed a corroded area which I have repaired as described above. More recently the tail pipe has developed a similar failure which I have temporarily repaired in the same way. The silencer still appears to be sound.
It would seem that I am only one of several Light Twelve series car owners (Members) now urgently seeking a down pipe and a tail pipe.
Am I wrong in suggesting that some assistance should be available from such a One Make Club?

With respect,

Peter C. [6515]

Peter
In response to my enquiry to ATDC Spares I am informed that re-stocking exhaust parts for Lt12s is a priority task currently in hand.

Whether this was part of normal re-stocking or was prompted by enquiries from yourself and others, I know not.

But the difficulties remain of obtaining accurate patterns of 80 year old parts, finding suppliers able and willing to make the parts in small quantities, and using Imperial rather than Metric measurements.
Peter

#27 2018-04-20 15:45:29

6515_Peter_Christie
Members

Thank you, Peter,

I am sure many of us will be pleased to read your report.

As far as I can see, it looks as if we need at least one set for an H/BX Ascot, a couple of sets for the H/R series (mine included) and at least one set for an H/RA series. Whether each of us wants the lonely silencer is a separate issue.

Obviously, we don't want the club to spend money on a blind venture. Perhaps it would be a good idea to secure firm orders from those members interested.

It would also be worthwhile to find out how far Kenneth Stuart Ridings has got with his trial so the club has a realistic idea of the likely demand for these components.

Maybe now there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

We appreciate your help.

Peter C. [6515]

#28 2018-04-20 20:34:35

7426_Steve_Fennell
Members

Peter and Peter

I have read your comments with interest as one of those seeking a full system for an HR series. I would certainly support any progress towards the club spares stocking exhaust parts for these variants. If it was necessary to do so in order to progress the necessary research then I would certainly be willing to commit to a firm order as Peter C suggests but will, in the meantime continue to make my own enquiries. My plan at present is to complete the car without an exhaust system and then trailer it to a company who would make one to fit the car as presented. However, it would certainly be preferable from my point of view to have a well-researched replica of the original system rather than a bespoke, non-original exhaust. I do understand the economics surrounding the reproduction of parts and need for sufficient demand but I believe this is fast becoming evident. I look forward to further progress in the near future.

Kind regards

Steve F.

#29 2018-04-21 10:24:55

813_Peter_Winney
Administrator

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions on this subject.   I have drawn it to the attention of the Spares Secretary.

As this thread appears to have covered the issue comprehensively I will close it today.

Board footer