Austin 10 Lichfield

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
MichaelElsom

Austin 10 Lichfield

Post by MichaelElsom » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:43 am

A German friend has asked me how and why Austin chose the model names for their 10 (and other cars as well). The town where she lives has a classic car show coming up and the town is twinned with Lichfield in Staffordshire. One of the entries is an Austin 10 Lichfield.
I have told her that my knowledge of Austins is really limted to Sevens - my wife has a 1928 Chummy - but I will do my best to find out.
Can anyone help as to whether:
(a) Any particular employee at the Austin decided on the names models were given,
(b) Whether there was an logic applied in the choice - or were the names just chosen at someone's fancy, and
(c) There was any reason why the four seat open tourer was called the Open Road whereas most of the other models had place names?
Any other learning on the topic would be welcome as well.
By the way, I think yours is an excellent website and I have learned a lot about Austins - the period photographs and brochures etc are brilliant. Thanks very much.

Rod

Re: Austin 10 Lichfield

Post by Rod » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:19 am

Interesting question, for instance some models are named after rivers, some after (horse) racing tracks and some after UK Counties.
Obviously the number/number ones are the fiscal horsepower rating (much later the actual horsepower)and number of cylinders.
I semi-recall reading somewhere the logic behind the derivation of at least some of the names, but I cannot pinpoint where.
Do you have a copy of "The Austin 1905-1952" by R J Wyatt [ISBN 0715379488], this book may be of interest to you. It mostly concerns the history of the company until it was subsumed into BMC, but I don't recall anything specific on model names in it. I would hazard a guess that the final decisions and perhaps even the names themselves came from Sir Herbert personally.
The ATDC archivist may have some knowledge on this?

MichaelElsom

Post by MichaelElsom » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:33 pm

I don't have a copy of that book - but I know someone who will!
Thanks very much for taking the trouble to help with my search.

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:52 pm

There appears to be no overall theme to the naming of Austin cars, other than gems for Sevens, and some inconsistencies. Towns, Schools, Horse-racing Courses, and places in Buckinghamshire were all used. There may have been a naming committee (like the way names for HM Ships are selected) but it is likely that Austin himself was the driving force and made final decisions.

There have been scurrilous suggestions about how some of the names may have been chosen by Austin, but even the late Freddie Henry did no more than hint at them.

Wyatt is a good source (tho’ I have not read him).

The Sevens and Tens were not given names until August 1934 when the new cowled radiator style was introduced on these cars.

Many names were re-used, sometimes on very different models. The name Clifton was synonymous with the Vintage Twelve (1920s) but from 1933-37 was given to the 10 two-seater & dickey tourer.

Watford (a fabric bodied H12) seems an odd one.

Some of the 1930s Austin names were revived and used into recent decades for “limited edition” models. “Mayfair” appeared on some of the last of the real Minis (applied by someone with a sense of humour perhaps?). “Ascot” was used on some Austin Metros.
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

MichaelElsom

Post by MichaelElsom » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:55 pm

Thank you very much for this helpful reply.