Andre Hertford Shocker absorbers

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
Jasper

Andre Hertford Shocker absorbers

Post by Jasper » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:49 pm

Hi
I may be erring on being thick but is there a descriptive of how to remove the front and rear shockers. I have the one from the club on how to refurbish

Many thanks

peter_winney

Re: Andre Hertford Shocker absorbers

Post by peter_winney » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:20 pm

Jasper
In theory it should be easy - just undo the nuts top and bottom and slide the whole Andre Hartford unit sideways. You may have to remove split pins or wire if the nuts are castellated as in the picture on page 1 of Fact Sheet No 25.

BUT the front mountings on a Ten are different. There are no castellated nuts and the top and bottom mountings face in opposite directions so you won't be able to just slide the shocker sideways to remove it. You will need to remove the mounting on each side by undoing the nut at the rear of the front axle. This is probably a safety feature so that if the nuts drop off the shockers remain in place. So make sure you put then back as they came off.

Pics attached show front and rear on 10

friction-damper-mounting-front.jpg
friction-damper-mounting-front.jpg (124.94 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
friction-damper-mounting.jpg
friction-damper-mounting.jpg (120.44 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
Let us know how you get on.
Peter W
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:30 pm

Many thanks Peter, once again. I take it I just unbolt them without jacking or supporting anything?
Regards

R

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:10 pm

Jasper wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:30 pm
Many thanks Peter, once again. I take it I just unbolt them without jacking or supporting anything?
Regards

R
Depends on how easy it is to access without taking the wheels off. Ramps / blocks under the front wheels can give more room to work. Usual precautions of course to make sure the car does not move while working under it.
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new