Page 1 of 1
Austin 10 Reg. No: MML 394
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2026 2:30 pm
by ddingle3
Hello, I was amazed to discover recently that my Dad's 1946 Austin10, reg. no MML 394 is still on the road! He owned it from about 1949 to 1955, when he exchanged it for an Austin A40 Cambridge. I was wondering if the current owner, who looks like he/she acquired it in 2016, is a member of the Austin 10 Drivers Club, or if any members know of this car If so,I'd be happy for you to pass on my contact details when I would be able to provide some backround information on it's early ownership and provide some photos of the car taken back in the early fifties. My e mail adddress is
ddingle@btinternet.com
Many thanks and best wishes David (Dingle)
Re: Austin 10 Reg. No: MML 394
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 4:39 pm
by peter_winney
David
You must have been pleased to discover your dad's car still registered and on the road. I see from DVLA that is is a black Austin Ten first registered in October 1946, currently "taxed" for use on the road (not SORN) and that most recent V5C was issued in 2016, presumably on change of ownership. Engine capacity is shown as 1141 cc, a common error as it should be 1125cc unless it was fitted with a larger capacity "11hp" engine used in war time Austin 10 utility trucks, or bored out to the "Ute" capacity.
The car or is not listed as being known to the Club so unfortunately there is no-one we can contact to ask about the car. MML 394 is a Middlesex registration, as likely you know, and will be original. I have been told that DVLA can put people in contact with present day owners, but probably only after seeking your bona fides, and no doubt a fee also!
The model post-war was designated the GRI and differed in only minor details from the 1939-40 GRQ. These models did not have a name and are usually called the "Alligator Bonnet" models. Most of the production was exported. New cars after the war either had a long waiting list or were sold at a premium over the list price. My father had to pay a premium on a nearly-new (1 year old) car as late as 1954. The Suez crisis and falling demand may have reduced prices later on and given an opportunity for your dad to do a good deal on the change from the Ten to the A40 Cambridge. That would have been a new or nearly new model having replaced the A40 Somerset.
Do let us know if you have any success tracing the owner and car, PeterW
Re: Austin 10 Reg. No: MML 394
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2026 7:15 pm
by ddingle3
Hello Peter,
Many thanks for responding to my post - and yes I was surprised and delighted to know that MML 394 is still on the road, I really couldn't believe it! My first thought was to see if the current owner is a member of the Austin 10 Drivers Club, as I would be if I owned an Austin 10! My Dad owned this car up to 1955 when he part exchanged it for an Austin A40 Cambridge at Mann Egerton in Northampton, we were actually living in Friern Barnet at that time. Previous to MML 394 he ran a 1938 Austin 10, which was laid up during WW2 whilst he was away for five years fighting in the desert with the 8th Army. Obviously I have very fond memories of his 1946 Austin 10 which took us on countless holidays with six up - our family of four and two grandparents! I can remember as a pre-holiday ritual helping my Dad polishing the Austin and he always fitted a roof rack to take all the holiday cases!
I do attend quite a few classic car shows, mostly at the Britsih Motor Museum at Gaydon and always the one at the NEC in November, so I'll keep an eye open just in case! I would guess by now MML 394 has been restored, probably more than once, but it would be fantastic to see it again. Thank you too for the suggestion of the DVLA, so I'll investigate that one and see if they would help - I'll do all I can to see if I can contact the current owner and I'll certainly let you know if I have any luck.
It's a great testament to the quality of manufacture that these cars are still running 80 years on, I doubt that would be the case with cars currently being produced!
Once again, many thanks Peter for your resonse , it's appreciated very much.
Best wishes
David