oil on clutch plate cambridge 38

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
Mark boardman

oil on clutch plate cambridge 38

Post by Mark boardman » Sun May 24, 2020 5:17 pm

I have oil coming onto my clutch plate face (engine side). If I am to replace the clutch is there a fact-sheet specific to the Clutch Please? and the re-lining of the Plate.
Also the cause of the Oil ingress onto the plate, any quick fixes?
Having just replaced the engine over last winter I don't particularly want to have to take the engine out more than once more this year.
I have done the squirting petrol into the clutch and that works fine for about 15 miles, then I start to slip again.
Bonus question - can one tell the thickness of the clutch lining without having to remove the engine, and how thick should it be?

peter_winney

Re: oil on clutch plate cambridge 38

Post by peter_winney » Sun May 24, 2020 9:06 pm

Mark
The clutch is covered under the Technical Reprints Volume 1 which can be bought at modest cost from the online shop.
There is a list of Technical Fact Sheets in the members area listing those which are available online and those are not (and can be obtained by members from the Club Technical Adviser). At present these do not cover clutches.

The rear oil seal on the engine is a scrollback and an oil flinger to throw any seepage away from the clutch. The way oil escapes from the back of the engine is if the bearings are worn allowing oil past the scrollback, the oil flinger has not been reinstalled, or backpressure from worn bores and rings resulting in an oil mist. If your engine has been overhauled then it should not have any of these problems. A common cause of oil on the clutch is from the front of the gearbox.

There is no quick fix. I have tried brake cleaner sprayed into the clutch housing but it does not work for more than 20 or 30 miles or so.

You can dismantle the clutch without removing the engine by removing the gearbox. You will need to support the rear of the engine as the rear engine mounting is on the tail of the gearbox.
PW
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

Mark boardman

Post by Mark boardman » Mon May 25, 2020 12:55 pm

Many thanks Peter for your prompt reply. Further investigation and spaner work to do.

phil_taylor

Post by phil_taylor » Mon May 25, 2020 3:05 pm

Hi Mark,
There is a quick fix I have used many times. Remove the inspection plate, handbrake on, run the engine, depress clutch, put it into gear and pour about 2pints of petrol slowly into the inspection hole whilst working the clutch so it starts to bite quite hard then release. Keep doing it. Collect the petrol in a bowl and do it again. Obviously do it outside and use a plastic pourer rather than steel. This works for at least 1500 miles afterwards.
I have never replaced 10 clutch linings due to wear only when prolonged slipping in the past has 'charred' the linings'. Normally they only slip between 25 and 35mph in top so it helps to go 40 at least at various times to clear any oil build-up but always ease your foot off if it starts to slip - I have tried letting it slip to burn off the oil but it does not help in the long run. The Club used to make stronger springs many years ago then reproduced the original poor design, and now allegedly make the stronger springs again. I often put a washer under each spring to increase pressure and, although my engines produce more than the standard 10 brake horsepower, I get little trouble now.
I reconned a Cambridge engine and box 6 years ago and after 2000 miles I had slipping but it was random so I left it and it seemed to settle down. Very occasionally it recurred. My current 10 has a late Cambridge engine and very rarely slips.
I can forward you a copy of how to dismantle and recondition the Austin 10 Gearbox and clutch, plus the original Club article on setting up the clutch. But I do not know how as I am not keen on giving my email on a public forum and I can't be messaged on the Club site? I could mail it but would need an address. Any ideas?
I drive up through Banbury 9 or 10 times a year from London as one of our sons lives & works near Gaydon and we do not do motorways. Probably in the next 3 weeks.
Good luck
Phil

Mark boardman

Post by Mark boardman » Mon May 25, 2020 3:40 pm

Thank you also Phil. I have done the petrol wash but only got 15-20 miles before slipping again.
I would love to get my eyes on the 'how to dismantle and recondition the gearbox and clutch' and have no problem sharing my address and email
Mark Boardman
Smithy cottage
Horton lane
Milcombe
Banbury
Ox154rg
yummyideas@hotmail.co.uk
You would be a welcome visitor any time.

simonbradford

Post by simonbradford » Tue May 26, 2020 7:25 am

I had the same problem but mine’s a ‘36 12/4. I took the gearbox out and put a sealed bearing in the input shaft, also sealed the drain back to gearbox from the labyrinth seal space. Burnt the oil off the clutch plate, put it all back and so far no more problems. Got stuck under the dash at one stage when lifting the gearbox back in but otherwise ok.

Rod

Post by Rod » Tue May 26, 2020 9:49 am

My Goodwood was the same when I bought it, the clutch would slip at the most inconvenient times, and viewed through the inspection/timing plate the whole assembly was coated in carbonised oil. In my case it was a combination of a coked up oil return scroll on the crankshaft [which shouldn't be the case on your reconned engine], excessively worn gearbox 1st motion/input shaft bearing [replaced by a -2RS sealed equivalent] and mainshaft support bearing giving the gearbox input shaft return scroll a hard time, but by far most of the oil was coming back from the crankcase via the radial clearance around a random junk box bolt which had been fitted instead of one of the original interference fit flywheel bolts.

bob_allison

Post by bob_allison » Tue May 26, 2020 1:10 pm

Very interesting gentlemen , I shall wait and see what my clutch does , but if it does give trouble then I shall know what to do . I have only just refitted the engine and gearbox this week , and it did not look oily . Long may it remain so .

Mr Boardman , I am just up the road from you at Daventry , 01327 - 87 77 86 if you want to get in touch , any time in waking hours .

phil_taylor

Post by phil_taylor » Wed May 27, 2020 9:28 pm

Hi Mark,
Have emailed you with the relevant sheets on the gearbox and clutch reconditioning. The most common reason for oil getting on the clutch is overfilling the gearbox. 2pints for the prewar gearbox is much too much. Austins perpetuated an error they made about 1933/4. This has been covered in detail many times before in the mag and the previous website. 1 1/4 to 1 1/2pints is correct - should be well below the threads of the plug. The frothing of the oil covering the gearbox top is much worse if overfilled.
Cheers