Scratched Windscreen

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
Old Bertie

Scratched Windscreen

Post by Old Bertie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:56 pm

I have a scratch in the windscreen or my February 1935 Austin 10 Lichfield. The scratch is not in my field of vision and has been there for many years before I became the owner of the car. It was probably caused by the windscreen wiper being operated with a perished blade rubber. My car must be one of the last made with the square or jointed chrome screen frame and not the later two piece rounded corner frame.

Having put up with this scratch for many years I think now is the time to do something about it. I even have a replacement glass available but I do not have any of the rubber seals. I am also not driving at present following a mild heart attack and my wife forbids me from working on the car myself.

I don't think this is the sort of problem that you can take to the normal windscreen replacement glass company that would be employed with a modern car so my question is:

1: Can anyone recommend anyone in the Mid Essex to Suffolk/ Cambridgeshire area who could take on this sort of windscreen replacement work
2: Is it possible to polish out such scratches like this and does anyone have any experience of doing this
3: Where can I reliably source replacement rubber seals for the screen

Any advice and help would be most gratefully accepted and be very helpful. Hopefully Lock-Down will be lifted from August and I will be fit enough to undertake short journeys in my Austin.

ted_prest

Re: Scratched Windscreen

Post by ted_prest » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:30 pm

Bertie,Go to your local car windscreen place you will find they will do it,i have had my local one make me a new window and fired it to make it modern safety.
I have this year had my 1964 Wolseley windscreen rubber replaced by the local company when i asked they said they do many older car windows.Ted

Old Bertie

Post by Old Bertie » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:53 pm

Thanks Ted, was your local windscreen company one of a national chain and can you remember their name?

I have tried the local/ national company windscreen replacement depots in my area of North East Essex and none of them want to know. Even the company recommended by my insurance Company (RH) did not want to know about replacing the screen glass for a car which has a metal frame to the glass screen.

ted_prest

Post by ted_prest » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:26 pm

National Windscreen did mine no problem and a good bunch of lads.Ted