Austin 12/6 Harley Deluxe Sun Roof

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
rusty block

Austin 12/6 Harley Deluxe Sun Roof

Post by rusty block » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:38 pm

Hello.
I have just bought this car as a restoration project, the car had a piece of temporary vinal covering the roof, this has now been removed and has exposed the remains of the original Sunshine roof, but unfortunately this is beyond repair, someone at some time has covered it with some sort bitumen to seal it, what I would like to do is reinstate the Sunshine roof, does anyone know if this is available as a kit of parts or recommend someone who could help me with this.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Pete

Johnstone

Re: Austin 12/6 Harley Deluxe Sun Roof

Post by Johnstone » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:17 pm

Hi Pete
Again I have the same problem with my 10/4
There isn’t a kit I’m having to make one myself
It’s not too difficult but you do need another car to get some measurements and an idea what to do
Then a steel fabricator to make and bend some parts
John Stewart has posted on Facebook, !
He’s making his own, might be of some help
Best regards paul

BrianLogan_9679

Post by BrianLogan_9679 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:38 am

I have the sunshine roof on my 12/6 and but it doesn't open any further than approx 6 inches so needs a complete refurb... Another job to do!

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:31 pm

rusty block wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:38 pm
Hello.
I have just bought this car as a restoration project, the car had a piece of temporary vinal covering the roof, this has now been removed and has exposed the remains of the original Sunshine roof, but unfortunately this is beyond repair, someone at some time has covered it with some sort bitumen to seal it, what I would like to do is reinstate the Sunshine roof, does anyone know if this is available as a kit of parts or recommend someone who could help me with this.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Pete
Peter
I see that you are a club member having posted also in the members' forum. There is a club technical fact sheet No 00 dealing with repair and refurbishment of sliding roofs of all saloon models from 1931 to 1936 (after which steel sunroofs were fitted). You can get a copy either from within the members' area of the main website or from the club technical rep (see magazine for contact details). Depending on how much of the original timber is remaining you may need help with the dimensions from another Harley owner who has already done this or is in the process of doing it, and pictures of the metal bits including the finger grip, slides, and tightening clamp, if these are missing.
Good luck
Peter W
Member since July 1972

rusty block

Post by rusty block » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:32 pm

Hi all and many thanks for all your comments.

I am now a member of the ATDC and have found and downloaded all the information pertaining to the Sunshine Roof, this info is so helpful.

Today I decided to gently peel apart the Sunshine roof, I have gone down a few layers at a time though the bitumen/tar coating that someone in the past has put on, there is a lot of the original material still in situ but is stuck solid, the metal edges are still there but are very flaky, also found what I think is all of the timber work and this is very fragile, my plans are to gently remove all these pats to use as a pattern for replacement parts, next I need to remove the headlining, the headlining is a replacement and is covering up any evidence of the Sun Roof from inside the car, I am hoping to reuse this for the rebuild of the sun roof.

If anyone is interested I can post some pictures.

Pete

john_stewart

Post by john_stewart » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:04 pm

Pete,
Someone has already mentioned my posts on the Austin Ten Owners Club Facebook page.
If you look at them you will see I have posted every stage on rebuilding and reinstalling the Sunshine roof on my 1934 Ten.
I have also posted about the possibility of putting together a ‘Kit’ of the major parts to assist other owners do theirs and will also be putting together a Technical Sheet with photos etc to submit to the ATDC so again other members can see how I did it

John

rusty block

Post by rusty block » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:03 pm

Hello John.

Many thanks for that, Ill search that out on FB.

Kind regards
Pete