Austin 10/4 Sherborne Handbrake gaiter?

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
Duckling

Austin 10/4 Sherborne Handbrake gaiter?

Post by Duckling » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:43 pm

Hi. I have just purchased an Austin Sherborne, which is in superb condition. But there are a few details I would like to address. At the base of the handbrake there is a slot in the floorboard to allow the handbrake to move backwards and forwards. At present the slot is open to the road below. I feel pretty sure there should be some sort of draught excluder, such as a rubber flap, and possibly a leather gaiter around the base of the handbrake. Can anyone advise me please? I would appreciate any details and/or dimensions if possible, as I would like to make it look as original as possible.
Thank you. Duckling

peter_christie

Re: Austin 10/4 Sherborne Handbrake gaiter?

Post by peter_christie » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:09 pm

Hi Duckling (Duckie would sound rude!),
You are right, the pre-war cars with the 'Signal Box' handbrake levers always had a leather (or leathercloth) gaiter to keep the noise and dust out.
Some of the later cars only had a rubber seal, - cheaper to manufacture.
Congratulations on your purchase, Sherborne is a very nice car.
Peter C. [6515]

Duckling

Post by Duckling » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:18 am

Thank you Peter. I thought there must be some sort of gaiter at least. I will probably make up some sort of flap underneath the gaiter out of sight. I have already got plans of adapting a letter box draught excluder, which has bristles, and then fabricate a leather gaiter as a cover for it. I have to say I am delighted with the car. I have been involved in restoration since the 70s and was awarded the OBE last year ( In my case it stands for Over Bloomin' Eighty!).
The name Duckling comes from the name of our village, which is Ducklington, Oxfordshire. One of our friends always refers to us as 'Ducklings in her Emails'. They live in Hermitage, Berkshire, so they are 'Hermits'. Yeah I know, we're mad, definitely.
Thanks again. Duckling.

simonbradford

Post by simonbradford » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:27 am

Contrary to popular belief you don’t HAVE to be mad to own and run an Austin but it definitely helps :shock: