No spark

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
cidermaster

No spark

Post by cidermaster » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:31 pm

Hi i am having problems getting a spark on my austin 12 1932,it has a dj6 distributor but has dk6 inners, there is power at the points when tested .I think the problem is with the rotor arm and the contacts on the distributor. I tried to test this by using a continuity meter between the coil ht connection, and a spark plug ht connection on the dist cap and turning the engine over by hand, I thought once the rotor arm got to the terminal
a circuit would be made and the meter would beep, but nothing. If everything was working ok would a circuit been made and the tester beeped.
Was the austin 12 only fitted with dj6 distributor.
any help please

stephen_voller

Re: No spark

Post by stephen_voller » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:41 pm

Hi Cidermaster,
I don't think the test you are carrying out is correct as you would only get a brief but very high voltage which potentially might destroy your testing device. The tester if of the continuity type won't beep as there is no direct contact between the HT lead / rotor arm / distributor contacts, just gaps that the ht voltage must jump across.

So need to test for 12volts at the low tension/voltage coil connections with the ignition switched on.
Then if that is OK, with the distributor cap off and the ignition still on, open the points manually and you should get a spark across the points.

If you get the spark across the points then that leaves the rotor arm, distributor cap, plug leads and finally the plugs to investigate, checking each stage in turn.

I assume the condenser is AOK.

cidermaster

Post by cidermaster » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:21 pm

Hi thanks for replying.
Once I posted i realised the error in the test. The distributor is a DJ6a which explains the different points and rotor arm to a DJ6. I have fitted a new condenser and the points work ok. I have fitted a new coil, new coil ht lead and distributor cap , the only thing left is the rotor arm which I had to reorder as the DJ6 is different

bob_allison

Post by bob_allison » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:31 am

Check your contact breaker gap , again . It can happen that the points are just not making contact at all , so that there is no circuit to break . You will still get a spark when opening them by hand . This defeated me once when I just set them by eye carelessly , they looked shut , but they weren't .