Timing Chain Cover

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
Old Bertie

Timing Chain Cover

Post by Old Bertie » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:31 pm

I keep seeing the aluminium Timing Chain Cover coming up for sale on eBay and other sites and it seems there is a significant requirement for this spare but in all the years i have owned and driven Austin 10's I have never had the need to replace the timing chain cover although, I have replaced the steel button when worn from time to time as I have also replaced the timing chain very occasionally when rebuilding an engine. Am I missing something and is this a part many owners require and seek out and for what reason?

peter_winney

Re: Timing Chain Cover

Post by peter_winney » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:14 am

Nor me. Only reason I can think one might be needed is if it broke during removal. Perhaps the sellers are hoping to make cash from some old scrap. A lot of stuff advertised on eBay does not sell but it is a good way of establishing a market value (if it does sell) using the auction facility.
Last edited by peter_winney on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bit added in brackets
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

phil_taylor

Post by phil_taylor » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:17 pm

I agree with Peter. The only times I have used a different one is because someone has stripped a thread in the base - easily done if tightened as much as the other ones and if the thread is already worn. Now I tend to helicoil or drill out and tap the next size up bsf thread and am very careful with a short spanner!
Phil

bob_allison

Post by bob_allison » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:18 pm

For anyone interested , I can produce 42T chainwheels ready to fit to the camshaft for a moderate price .

Rod

Post by Rod » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:46 am

Bob, the chainwheels you speak of, do they cross over to the 14/6 engine which uses 1F47 (I don't have access to a 10/4 list of Spare Parts). I ask because although I was able to replace the crankshaft sprocket from ATDC spares, I really need to consider replacing the camshaft one too as it is starting to resemble a circular saw blade rather than a sprocket...
Regards
Rod

bob_allison

Post by bob_allison » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:16 pm

In a word , probably . My car is a 12/6 . Easiest if you give me a ring on 01327- 87 77 86 , any time in waking hours .

bob_allison

Post by bob_allison » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:24 pm

What I am trying to say is that the part numbers given in the parts books for each model would seem to be different , although the parts in question may be one and the same . If the club 21t crank sprocket fits your model , then the 42t camshaft sprocket must be the same as mine , unless there are differences in the centre and drive arrangements . 42t platewheels are available off the shelf , you just need to machine the centre to fit your engine , or machine the centre to accept the machined down centre of your old item , registered true and secured with small welds .

Rod

Post by Rod » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:44 am

Thanks for the info Bob, good idea (which never occurred to me) of grafting a suitable platewheel onto the original centre.
No hassles with replicating fastening PCD or hub offsets.

bob_allison

Post by bob_allison » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:19 pm

A simple indexing setup will be sufficient for our sort of engines , I wonder if The Austin bothered much . Or Just scribe and dot a line from a tooth to the centre , or the keyway or drive hole . There was actually enough meat in the plate wheel to reproduce the original in one piece . I am lucky to have a toolmaker friend , to whom I turn when I want really accurate work .