Grease nipple thread type

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
GaryCullen

Grease nipple thread type

Post by GaryCullen » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:28 am

Hi all, my Austin parts list doesn’t describe the thread type for any of the spring or king pin grease nipples.
1933 Austin 10/4. Cross member chassis with cross tube.
Can anyone advise please?
I am assuming BSP … but you never know!
Gary
Auckland VAR

richard_mallet

Re: Grease nipple thread type

Post by richard_mallet » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:40 am

Hello Gary,

I believe it's 1/8th BSP

Richard

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:14 am

Hi
I concur, 1/8th

Regards

GaryCullen

Post by GaryCullen » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:23 pm

Thanks Richard and Jasper.
I found a couple on rear springs that won’t let grease through even after I removed and washed them out with petrol.
Need replacing as I think the small ball and spring inside is rusted up.
Gary
Auckland VAR

richard_mallet

Post by richard_mallet » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:27 am

That's interesting. I too have a 1933 10/4 but I don't have any grease nipples on my rear springs nor on the front either. Would that have been for export only cars I wonder?

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:46 am

richard_mallet wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:27 am
That's interesting. I too have a 1933 10/4 but I don't have any grease nipples on my rear springs nor on the front either. Would that have been for export only cars I wonder?
Yes, I believe cars for the export market had spring and shackle bushes that required greasing. UK market cars had Silentbloc rubber and metal bushes.
I do not know the source for this info, possibly sales brochures or Austin Service Journals issued to dealers.
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

peter_christie

Post by peter_christie » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi All,

You will find that almost all of the parts books show Export Spec Front & Rear springs and shackles with metal to metal shackles and spring pins. Some also have direct grease points to the spring leaves. The early ones appear to be plain bronze bushes but the later ones have screwed steel pins in threaded bronze bushes. Straight and right angle grease nipples are listed for all of them. I think there are two thread sizes, the smaller (probably 1/8" BSP) being most common.

Peter C. [6515]

Rod

Post by Rod » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:50 am

Peter C./Peter W. yes, Austin publication 1785 (FRA Goodwood 'List of Spare parts') has a page headed "Springs With Screw type Shackle Pins for Overseas" . I don't believe I have ever seen any UK import (of any make) of this era with anything but screw type shackle pins. Not sure why the Empire missed out on the latest technology, concerns about the state of the roads perhaps. Or worries that the locals couldn't cope with the technology? :lol:

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:32 am

Rod wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:50 am
Peter C./Peter W. yes, Austin publication 1785 (FRA Goodwood 'List of Spare parts') has a page headed "Springs With Screw type Shackle Pins for Overseas" . I don't believe I have ever seen any UK import (of any make) of this era with anything but screw type shackle pins. Not sure why the Empire missed out on the latest technology, concerns about the state of the roads perhaps. Or worries that the locals couldn't cope with the technology? :lol:
Rod
State of the roads, or maybe the climate. The rubber in the silentbloc bushes may have broken down too quickly in overseas conditions. Silentblocs reduce routine maintenance tasks but are pigs to replace when they finally give up the ghost. Greasing every 500 miles may have been the better long-term option in the bundu or the outback
Peter W
Member since July 1972

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:38 pm

Further posts on this topic evolved and have been moved to Spring Shackles and Bushes at

https://www.austintendriversclub.com/fo ... 2&start=10
Member since July 1972