Barn finds

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
Cooper

Barn finds

Post by Cooper » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:26 pm

Hi I am a new member to the club, and I am looking for some help.
I have been offered x2 Austin 10 Tourers with dickey seats. Both cars are complete but have been dry stored for a more than 8 years.
What I am looking for is some help in knowing how much the cars are worth, both un-restored and restored. Are parts for these cars relatively easy to source / are some parts compatible with other Austin Models.
Any help would be welcome and thanks in advance.
Regards
Garry

peter_winney

Re: Barn finds

Post by peter_winney » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:02 pm

Garry
Value – difficult to say. Barn finds may clean up and remain original or need compete restoration. Value will depend on condition. If you are contemplating a project do it for love not money – restoring an Austin 10 will cost more than it is worth when finished.

Have a search online for prices actually achieved at sales. Sellers expect more than they are worth and posted prices are no indication of value.

As an example there was a good 1935 Clifton 10/4 (cowled rad 2-seater) sold by Brightwells in Aug 2020 which went for £7728 (a strange price) against an estimate of £8,000 to £10.000. Buyer of course would have paid buyers premium of nearly £1K including VAT on top of hammer price. This looked to be a reasonably smart example. It had an age-related registration, I believe, because it had been registered in the Channel Islands recently so had lost any original English reg no.

Ten two-seaters come in approx 5 versions:-
• Chrome-rad 6v cars ladder chassis wooden dashboard – Car No. prefix GT. All 1933
• Chrome-rad 12v cars X-chassis metal instrument panel – Car No prefix GP. Late ’33 to July 34
• Clifton 10/4 with cowling - box trafficators – Car No Prefix GPA. Aug 34 to late 1935
• Clifton 10/4 with cowling – flush trafficators – Car No Prefix GPA. Early 1936
• Clifton 10 hp – with Girling brakes and Easiclean wheels – G/PA From Aug ’36 to early ’37. Downdraught carb from about Oct '36.

As with all Austin 10s they are great little cars and look more “antique” than they are. They share running components with other 10s of the same age so parts are no harder to source than for the models.

I would be interested in the Chassis Nos, Car Nos, Engine Nos and Reg Nos if you would be willing to message these to me as I am compiling a register of these models.

Good luck
Peter W
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

Cooper

Re: Barn finds

Post by Cooper » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:51 pm

Hello Peter
Thank you for your advice and insight.
I will see if the owner will let me have the information you have asked for and be in touch once I have spoken to them, and also let you know if i do acquire the cars.
Best regards
Garry