Lucas W3 IGN warning light

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
6350_William_French

Re: Lucas W3 IGN warning light

Post by 6350_William_French » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:37 pm

I thought someone would have an explanation. Thanks All. You learn something new every day.
From Bill

Rod

Re: Lucas W3 IGN warning light

Post by Rod » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:36 am

Yes, Peter C I should've said British applications :) . The basis of my "thesis" is that in any British hand book of the period I can just about guarantee that the explanation will read something like "As a safeguard against the ignition being left on....", and then later mention its relevance to charging. I don't have any US wiring schematics from the 30s, does this era US car usually have a light and an ammeter? The only detailed US schematic I've got is for a D29 (1949 MY) Dodge; it has an ammeter and nothing else. What I'm trying to say -without putting everyone to sleep- is that if there's an ammeter and a light the latter is primarily an ignition warning light (because you use the ammeter as your primary source of charging information-esp you 3rd brush guys), if there's no ammeter then the light is all you've got and it becomes a 'generator not charging' light.
Totally off topic, but early in my career I once worked on a mid 50s/early 60s Opel, and on that car the light (a green one) was on when the generator was charging and off when it wasn't.