tracking down an Austin 10

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
richardgrafton

tracking down an Austin 10

Post by richardgrafton » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:46 pm

Hi there
I hope this is OK to post but I am trying to track down an Austin that was previously owned by my wife's Uncle. The car is a 1937 Austin 10 with a hood and dickie, registration DUL 653. I'm afraid I am not yet a member of the Austin 10 Club but I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me establish whether the vehicle still exists or even how I might contact the current owner. I happen to own a 1926 Austin 12/4 Clifton and am already a member of the Vintage Austin Register, so I'm a keen Austin enthusiast and would love to help my wife's Uncle if I can! Many thanks.
Richard

peter_winney

Re: tracking down an Austin 10

Post by peter_winney » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:52 pm

This late 10hp Clifton 2-seat & dickey - DUL 653 - is not one previously known to ATDC - it does not appear on any list that I can find.

The car is listed by DVLA as a black Austin 10 first registered in February 1937. It is shown as not taxed for use on the road and the last record appears to have been 16 November 2005 when a V5C logbook was issued (presumably on change of ownership). For once they have got the cc right!
DVLA details at - open in new window - https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/V ... ?locale=en

DVLA happily release details of car owners to private parking companies in return for loads of money but I doubt if the jobsworths would extend the same privilege to the general public who pay their wages. Especially now while they are still WFH. But you could have a try.

Any advice from anyone out there who has had success in tracing current owners of past-owned vehicle?
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

Rod

Post by Rod » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:56 am

That's interesting Peter, in this country (NZ) most of the ownership details are unavailable to the general public anyway, even past owners for your own vehicle (apart from businesses and car dealers) and you can remove what's left on public view by notifying the relevant authority. "Authorized entities" such as Police etc can access the full details of course, as can the local authority parking wardens. Private car park operators can, but in the past they usually didn't bother due to the costs involved to them, until it was publicised nationally that a private individual could lawfully conceal details and evade their egregious "fines". Now word is on the street that they (particularly one large overseas owned operator who most NZers will know) are starting to pursue defaulters by obtaining their residential addresses to recover their 'costs'.

richardgrafton

Post by richardgrafton » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:14 pm

Thanks very much for the reply Peter - much appreciated! Interesting to note the vehicle isn't known to the ATDC but I'll keep searching and also give DVLA a try!