Engine colour

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
Jonnie m

Engine colour

Post by Jonnie m » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:53 am

Hello, I’ll be rebuilding the engine from my 1946 gs1. Does anyone have any idea what colour the block and head would have been originally and if there’s a commercially available equivalent? Cheers jonnie

peter_winney

Re: Engine colour

Post by peter_winney » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:07 am

When new these cars had black block and engine. There are dozens of "shades" of "black" but any heat-resistant black paint would be do.

Some people prefer the BMC green colour, like a Morris Minor of a Mini, but of course that colour did not come into use until several years after the end of the production of the Ten.
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

peter_christie

Post by peter_christie » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:05 am

Hi Peter,
We had one of the early BS1 Sixteens and I remember it and the earliest A40 Devon vans which we also had, all had Moss Green coloured engines, so I think it likely that all the OHV engines were the same colour. We also had a later BW1 Countryman, a Hampshire Pick Up and a Hereford saloon together with a long series of A40 and later Austin vans usually replaced about 40,000 miles. We also had a 2 ton Austin Loadstar lorry replaced after about ten years by a BMC Austin 2 Tonner with that peculiar cab with the angled doors. We never had a post-war Twelve so I've no experience of the HS1.
Peter C [6515]

Jonnie m

Post by Jonnie m » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:38 pm

Thanks both, at one time this one must have been painted cream with the lettering picked out in red.

bob_allison

Post by bob_allison » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:44 pm

Peter Christie , That was the thrup'ney bit cab . Actually clever , the idea being that the door did not open into the road .

peter_christie

Post by peter_christie » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:32 am

Hi Bob,
That's true and it's how BMC advertised it, but the Loadstar cab had an adjustable drivers' seat and a two seater bench, the 'threepenny bit' cab had two single seats. I liked the earlier truck better.
Regards,
Peter C. [6515]

Rod

Post by Rod » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:02 am

I always knew FG/S200 series lorries as "leg lookers" for obvious reasons. "Threepenny/Thrup'ney bit" is a new one on me, but looking at the Wikipedia entry it makes perfect sense. Have to agree with the comments about the cab, seats were too narrow (and the cab got too hot), also not exactly a speedster it took a loong time to get anywhere.