half shaft

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
cidermaster

half shaft

Post by cidermaster » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:30 am

Hi I need to replace the nearside half shaft on the austin 12,I have undone all bolts on the flange and removed the keyway/breather ,the casing is loose but will not remove from the main casing, is there anything else ive missed. thanks

peter_winney

Re: half shaft

Post by peter_winney » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:49 am

If you have not done it already you need to split the axle at the centre and draw the the two halves of the axle casings off the half-shafts & differential assembly. If it will not shift then remove the two locking plates on the back of the axle (2 bolts each - one on each side of the differential - one may have a breather tube) to reveal the side-play adjustment toothed rings. The casing can be pushed off the internal bearings by judicious use of a drift and mallet on the rings, screwing them in the appropriate direction.
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

cidermaster

Post by cidermaster » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:27 pm

Thanks for replying, can I just do the nearside casing and leave the main rear axle in place, or do you have to remove the rear axle from the car and split both sides . I did see the castled nut but hoped the unit would come off in one piece. Thanks

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:27 pm

cidermaster wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:27 pm
Thanks for replying, can I just do the nearside casing and leave the main rear axle in place, or do you have to remove the rear axle from the car and split both sides . I did see the castled nut but hoped the unit would come off in one piece. Thanks
It is possible to leave half the axle on the car but you will need space at the side to extract the full width of both half-shafts. I tried this once and found the garage wall got in the way!
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new