1935 Lichfield no drive?

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
Rod

Re: 1935 Lichfield no drive?

Post by Rod » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:42 am

No worries Peter, Its a great illustration of lots of time and effort being wasted for no satisfactory result...

colinj123

Post by colinj123 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:37 pm

Hi Rod, Peter,
I checked the Lichfield today. The rear offside hub was all loose, I removed it and cleaned it up and it looked okay, albeit the half shaft was a little scored and the key was missing but the key slot was intact. I reassembled it as tight as I could but it had a washer in front of the castleated nut preventing it from going on far enough to allow a split pin. I couldn’t see a washer on the diagrams so left it off and it went on okay.
I checked the other rear wheel and the hub was on tight with no movement so I left it. One of the brake drum screws was missing.
Both the front wheels were tight with no movement but again one the brake drum screws was missing.
I lifted the bonnet to turn the battery isolater on and there on the shelf next to the battery was 2 hub keys and 2 brake drum screws, so I am assuming the rear near side hub is also missing it’s key.
The car started and moved forward and back. As soon as I can get it home I will take both the rear hubs apart and reassemble.
Thanks for your help and advice it’s really appreciated. As soon as I start working on the car I am sure I’ll have lots more questions.
Thanks
Colin

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:26 pm

Colin
Thanks for update. Glad you found the missing bits lying on the shelf next to the battery.
Peter
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

Rod

Post by Rod » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:07 am

Good Work Colin!
I don't think there is supposed to be a washer under the hub nut (contrary to normal practice), but if you find that the slots in the hub nut don't line up with the holes in the halfshaft when you finally put it together, either axially or radially, then is when you swap the nuts from side to side or face a little off (taking care to keep the face of the nut square to the threaded bore) to line them up. If you're planning on dressing up the taper fits have a look on YouTube, there's a bit on there on lapping powerboat propellers onto shafts- different application but the same principle. The important thing is not to overdo the lapping to the extent you allow the axle taper to protrude beyond the hub causing the axle nut to bottom against the axle.