BODY ROLL

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
Petetherod

BODY ROLL

Post by Petetherod » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:06 pm

Hi. I've recently joined the ranks of Austin 10 owners and have only just started to drive the car. I find that the car seems to have an excessive amount of body roll in corners, is this usual or is it something that needs to be addressed through some adjustment? The car in question is a 1933 10/4.
Thanks Pete

Jasper

Re: BODY ROLL

Post by Jasper » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:02 am

Hi
I also have a 1933 10/4 and noticed the same...quite a high degree of tilt, with a graunching noise on the side being leant into at the front occasionally occurring. I changed the front bump stops as they had disintegrated, and I can feel the difference!!! Still a fair amount of movement though!!
I thought leaf springs could be at fault but I have been assured they are normal

Regards

Petetherod

Post by Petetherod » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:59 am

Sounds very similar to my problems. Will give the bump stops a try. Many thanks

Petetherod

Post by Petetherod » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:43 am

Hi. The club hasn’t any bump stops in stock, any idea where I could get some? Cheers

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:28 am

Petetherod wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:43 am
Hi. The club hasn’t any bump stops in stock, any idea where I could get some? Cheers
Alderton's list them on their website
Did the club spares say when they expect new stock in?
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:45 am

Petetherod wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:06 pm
Hi. I've recently joined the ranks of Austin 10 owners and have only just started to drive the car. I find that the car seems to have an excessive amount of body roll in corners, is this usual or is it something that needs to be addressed through some adjustment? The car in question is a 1933 10/4.
Thanks Pete
Austin 10 saloons are relatively tall for their width compared with modern cars, so body roll is to be expected to some extent. As to what is “excessive” that may be a subjective viewpoint. No Ten that I have driven or travelled in has ever had as much body roll as a 2cv or Renault 4. My two-seater has little body roll but tends to “hop” sideways at the back under enthusiastic cornering. The Cambridge has greater body roll, as you would expect, which encourages more sedate driving. Neither will corner like a Mini

Being a 1930s design (and old fashioned even then) the Ten has stiff springs with short travel at the front end. At the rear the suspension travel is greater. In my experience as a driver and passenger body roll and rubbing of tyres on the inside of the wings is usually at the rear, especially if oversize tyres are fitted on the back axle. More modern designs with IFS go the other way and provide soft springs & dampers, with long travel on the suspension and an anti-roll bar.

Shockers on the chrome-rad and early Lichfield are Andre-Hartford friction type which are stiffer than the later Luvax hydraulics. At extremes of adjustment the friction dampers can have no damping effect at all or be far too stiff.

Sorry that this does not answer your question - maybe even raises some more :?
Peter W
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

Petetherod

Post by Petetherod » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:09 pm

Thanks for all your help. Have ordered some new bump stops from Aldertons.

david_castle

Post by david_castle » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:40 am

The club have been out of stock of this item for some time. I tried to order two in March no date was given so I also got them from Aldertons.
Must say the delivery from Aldertons was amazing arrived the next day.
David