Austin Ten Drivers Club

Welcome to the Austin Ten Drivers Club Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-05 05:00:14

David

Clutch release bearing lubrication

The workshop manual for a 1935 Lichfield states that the clutch release oiler should be checked every two months and filled with C600 grease. This is the older type clutch release bearing (not the carbon ring type). I have not checked this in 7 years as I have rarely driven 100 miles per year.

Does anyone know what the modern equivalent to C600 is? I have also heard it referred to as 600 oil or SAE140 but I am very wary of introducing oil into the clutch mechanism in case the cork clutch facings get contaminated. Any help or advice would be most appreciated as I want to take the car on a long run of 600 miles in the spring.

Thank you

#2 2018-02-05 18:45:01

813_Peter_Winney
Administrator

Re: Clutch release bearing lubrication

David wrote:

The workshop manual for a 1935 Lichfield states that the clutch release oiler should be checked every two months and filled with C600 grease.

This is a new one to me.  I have never seen instructions to grease the clutch release bearing and have never done so.

The Lichfield handbook that I have - 1263A.B. dated 10/35 - states "Monthly - oil the clutch withdrawal sleeve only on those models which are provided with a bell mouthed oiler for the purpose"

From late 1935 the Lichfield had carbon-thrust release bearing (and hence no bell-mouthed oiler).

Similarly Staton Abbey (Pitman's) says "Every month or 2000 miles - Oil the clutch release ring if not fitted with carbon thrust".

#3 2018-02-05 23:02:02

8588_Ian_Jones
Members

Hello David

What does your clutch oiler look like?  Is it a "bell mouthed oiler"?

Regards

Ian

#4 2018-02-06 12:56:04

David

Hi Ian and Peter,

My car has the earlier type clutch mechanism with the bell mouth oiler tube. I have never touched it and although I have owned various Austin models with similar bell shaped oilers over the years I have never oiled them either.

I cannot find a modern equivalent to c600 oil/ grease. How much is required or do you just drip a few drops in the oiler or fill to the rim?

Because I do not use the car very much due to my age/ health I suspect that the clutch bearing is sticking on the splines. The clutch was last rebuilt in 1984.

The instructions are not very clear. Please advise

#5 2018-02-06 17:31:17

8588_Ian_Jones
Members

Hello again David

Others with more knowledge will advise you what oil to use, but I wonder whether it was originally akin to the "grease" used in some gearboxes of that era which was only just solid at room temperature and became "oil-like" when squeezed - Castrol EPL 0 from memory.

Anyway, as I say, someone will tell you what is used now.  The only advice I would offer would be to use very little.  Only the lubricant between to 2 surfaces is doing anything useful.

Regards

Ian

#6 2018-02-06 19:05:57

594_Phil_Taylor
Members

Hi David,
The Gordon G Goodwin Pitman Book, (which only deals with the pre-war 10s, instead of Staton Abbey's one being 75% on the GS1 post-war) states (page 48):
'The clutch requires weekly attention in the form of a few drops of engine oil through the oiler tube on the earlier models. On the later models etc. ...'
The original Austin 10 garage chart given away with each new car (not the later Castrol Lubrication chart) just states 'Lubricate monthly' - no special oil mentioned?
The late chromerad Austin Handbook just says lubricate monthly, with no mention of special lubricant?
So you take you choice!!!! In my experience, the bearings always whirr when you depress the clutch.

Phil

(P.S. I very rarely lubricate mine but I tend to do longer journeys, mostly over 75miles and rarely hold the clutch down for longer than a few seconds in traffic.)

#7 2018-02-06 23:11:18

5750_David_Ralph
Members

Yes use engine oil. Add a few drips of oil every few hundred miles. As far as I am aware new bearings aren't available so don't run it dry or you could be in trouble.

#8 2018-02-08 05:17:25

David

Dear David

Would SAE140 be appropriate? When I Google c600 oil that is what comes up on screen.

I am planning a long trip of several hundred miles this year and thus the reason for my enquiry.

I am now really concerned about the bearing no longer being available. Is this absolutely correct as I don't want to write off a car I have owned for so many years because I cant get a £5 bearing.

How many owners don't oil this bearing and shouldn't a warning appear in the club magazine concerning the potential of catastrophic failure and the lack of any spares?

Please advise

#9 2018-02-08 19:54:30

5750_David_Ralph
Members

Hello David

I'm not sure what publication you have that suggests greasing the clutch every two months. Austin didn't produce a workshop manual for their pre-war cars. The handbook for all models of Austin (7, 10 and 12) says to lightly oil the clutch withdrawal sleeve weekly. 140 grade oil is probably too thick. Austin tell you to use oil. Where a special oil (such as 140 oil - or D as it was called back then) rather than engine oil is required the handbook specifies what special oil to use.

So use a few drops of engine oil ever few hundred miles.

#10 2018-02-13 01:03:30

David

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I already have a Pitman's book for the Austin 10 by Staton-Abbey but have now ordered the earlier Goodwin version which may be more helpful.

My original information on which I based my question about the oil was published by Newson in 1935 and was a compilation of various magazine articles published when the model was quite new. It is not an "official" Austin manual and covers various models and makes of period cars.

#11 2018-02-19 22:34:44

8588_Ian_Jones
Members

Regarding unavailability of the clutch release bearing.  Mine is the later carbon type so I don't know what the earlier one looks like.  I may well, therefore, be talking nonsense, but is there no modern equivalent?  As it is a thrust bearing there can be no concern about bending loading (as is apparently the case with rear wheel bearings).  Maybe the mating parts each side might need modifying to retain the modern bearing but......

Regards

Ian

Board footer