windshield mechanism

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
hadonk@gmail.com

windshield mechanism

Post by hadonk@gmail.com » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:20 pm

Hello Oldtimer friends,
I am restoring a Wolseley 12/48 coupe, and I know there are some similarities with the Morris models.
I bought my vehicle in a disassembled condition years ago and am now finishing it.
Now I am missing some parts, my question is can one of the club members help me.
I am looking for the mechanism to open the windshield and also the mechanism to open the ventilate flap.

Greetings Hans Donkervoort

peter_winney

Re: windshield mechanism

Post by peter_winney » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:54 pm

hadonk@gmail.com wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:20 pm
Hello Oldtimer friends,
I am restoring a Wolseley 12/48 coupe, and I know there are some similarities with the Morris models.
I bought my vehicle in a disassembled condition years ago and am now finishing it.
Now I am missing some parts, my question is can one of the club members help me.
I am looking for the mechanism to open the windshield and also the mechanism to open the ventilate flap.

Greetings Hans Donkervoort
Hans
Sorry but we are unlikely to be able to help as Austin and Morris did not merge to become BMC until after the period of our cars.

Suggest you contact the Wolseley clubs such as: (Open links in new window or tab)
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

ted_prest

Post by ted_prest » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:31 pm

Hans click on the Wolseley owners club site Peter has put above,I am a member there are there are quite a number of people there that will help you,Ted

hadonk@gmail.com

Post by hadonk@gmail.com » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:34 pm

Peter, 3I am a member of the Wolseley clubs and I also put the question there but so far no success, hopefully one of your members knows something.

peter_christie

Post by peter_christie » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:03 pm

Hi Hans,
I am not familiar with Nuffield Group cars, but I'm fairly certain that the chain link hinged windscreen winding mechanism was a proprietary component manufactured by Wilmot-Breedon and that similar equipment was used on many British cars in the '30s and '40s.
In my personal experience they are very difficult to service. Because of their inaccessibility, they are neglected, the grease with which they were initially packed, goes waxy and the worm wheel, which appears to be Mazak wears to the extent of seizing. I get the impression that they did not have durability in mind when they were designed.
Another member told me that Theo Selby at Austins of Old Arley was pretty good at repairing these mechanisms.
Best of luck with your project.
Peter C. [6515]

hadonk@gmail.com

Post by hadonk@gmail.com » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:17 pm

Thanks Peter, I'm going to make contact with the company