Fitting bottom hose on a Sherborne

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
Duckling

Fitting bottom hose on a Sherborne

Post by Duckling » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Hi friends. This may sound very basic to many, but I would appreciate any advice and/or tips on replacing a bottom hose on my newly acquired Sherborne. The new hose from the Club is only four and a half inches long, and very inflexible, so no chance of bending it to install it. Presumably the front of the car has to come off? I would be grateful for ANY advice or tips you can give. Many thanks. Duckling.

peter_winney

Re: Fitting bottom hose on a Sherborne

Post by peter_winney » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:55 pm

You will need to unbolt the aluminium bottom water branch (aka water elbow) to fit the short piece of hose over it and then bolt it back in place. While it is off it is worth flushing the cooling system well to get any much out. You may find that the water branch is corroded and needs to be replaced with a new one from club spares.

10-4_bottom-water-branch.JPG
10-4_bottom-water-branch.JPG (105.83 KiB) Viewed 12774 times
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

Duckling

Post by Duckling » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:56 pm

Thanks very much Peter, much appreciated. It is always best to ask someone who knows what they are doing and knows their way around a particular car. I think even I can cope with that one.
Thanks again for your help. Keep well, keep safe, keep smiling.
Duckling (AKA Patrick)

norman_ball

Post by norman_ball » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:00 pm

Put the hose on the branch and fit them as a unit. BUT it will still be a b++++r because the branch has to be got on to the studs and the hose on to the rad at the same time. Best method is to remove the studs and bolt the branch up with correct length bolts. Looks neater too.

Happy fumbling,
Norman

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:12 pm

Norman
You forgot to mention - do all this while bent over nearly upside down under the bonnet :D
Peter
Member since July 1972

norman_ball

Post by norman_ball » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:44 am

Quite right Peter. It's much easier to work on if you take the right hand wing and wheel off first.

Norman

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:43 am

norman_ball wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:44 am
Quite right Peter. It's much easier to work on if you take the right hand wing and wheel off first.

Norman
Norman
RU taking the mickey mate? :lol:
Peter
Member since July 1972

norman_ball

Post by norman_ball » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:06 pm

Not really, as I understand it that was the sort of thing you had to do if you worked on a 2CV.
Norman

david_mccullough

Post by david_mccullough » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:54 pm

I have just been doing this on my sherborne this today, there has been a persistent drip since the engine was rebuilt and I took off the elbow to reseal it. It would appear to have gone porous as the water it oozing out near the top bolt. I went onto club spares to order a new one but they done seem to be in stock. Ive sent off an email to Rachel to see if Im missing the listing.

david_mccullough

Post by david_mccullough » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:57 pm

Peter, is that a piece of metal below the jubilee clip? I did notice a mark on my hose and assumed it was from the fan belt, so I must do the same.