Fitting bottom hose on a Sherborne

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
peter_winney

Re: Fitting bottom hose on a Sherborne

Post by peter_winney » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:39 pm

David
Yes it is a bottom hose protector that I bought decades ago. An old worn fan belt can bulge out at high revs and wear a groove in the hose, but the wear may also be a sign the front engine mount is past it! Previously I used an extra jubilee clip placed in the strategic area.
Peter
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

6350_William_French

Post by 6350_William_French » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:07 pm

Hi Peter
Yes I put a similar piece of tin plate on the bottom of my 12/6 to protect the hose from the fan belt. Great minds think alike!
from Bill French

norman_ball

Post by norman_ball » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:29 pm

Ha, me too. Out on a test run I stopped to check if all was well and found black dust everywhere under the bonnet. The fan belt was too loose and was very nearly through the hose. Turned out one thread in the clamp holding the dyno was not doing its job. The badly repaired crack in the cradle had opened up, but that's a different story. I cut a piece of tin to protect the hose in the future.

Happy Austining, Norman

roger_prestwood

Post by roger_prestwood » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:18 am

Les Hemmings and I are actively trying to get new castings made. Be patient as everything takes a long time at the moment, with casting company front offices closed etc.

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:30 am

roger_prestwood wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:18 am
Les Hemmings and I are actively trying to get new castings made. Be patient as everything takes a long time at the moment, with casting company front offices closed etc.
Thanks Roger for keeping us informed. One of the benefits of the website forum :)
Wearing my nerd hat, the Bottom Water Branch was the first new part that ATDC had made :ugeek:
Peter W
Member since July 1972

peter_christie

Post by peter_christie » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:03 pm

Hello again,
Interesting, reading the above comments re protecting the bottom hose against damage caused by a slack fanbelt.
In both the Cambridge and the New Ascot Parts lists you will find a listed part number for a "Shield for rubber connection".
The Cambridge Part # is 1G99 and the New Ascot Part # is 1F231 (1F231 is common to Goodwoods).
I suppose, in the past these shields have just been cast aside because people didn't realise their purpose.
Regards to all,
Peter C. [6515]

norman_ball

Post by norman_ball » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:34 pm

Hi,
no such part for the earlier Ascots, so Austin probably learned from the misfortunes of their owners :(

stay healthy,
Norman

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:08 pm

Just found the guidance by Tony Mealing in his Guide to the Light 12 - page 66. He recommends a tin can secured with jubilee clips
Member since July 1972

stephen_voller

Post by stephen_voller » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:45 pm

So is the need for a shield a design fault or is it a case of getting more mileage from a fan belt or would a new fan belt obviate the need for a hose shield?

Rod

Post by Rod » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:50 pm

Peter C: That 'shield for rubber connection' Part # 1F231 is also valid for a late model Goodwood according to the Spare Parts List, with the radiator outlet on the nearside, although in this case, due to the 'J' shape of the bottom radiator hose on those I think its more likely to shield the hose from being cooked by the exhaust downpipe...?
Stephen V: Yes, although its not generally advisable to tension a 'B' section belt too tight due to the risk of 'collateral damage' to generator bearings and generator mountings on cars, an overly loose or worn one can equally inflict a surprising amount of damage (as I've seen in an industrial setting-there is quite a weighty chunk of rubber involved).Theoretically on the earlier cars the hose is on the tension side of the belt, so the belt wouldn't get near the hose unless its worn or slack. Maybe the shield is like a baling bucket in a boat, shouldn't need it but....