Austin Ten Drivers Club

Welcome to the Austin Ten Drivers Club Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-29 02:39:03

David Johnson

Horn push + trafficator switch assembly

After 84 years service the steering wheel centre and horn push assembly broke on my 1935 Austin 10/4 Lichfield this morning whilst out on a long distance run. The semaphore/ direction switch just keeled over and now just loosely drops from side to side and no working semaphores. Does anyone know how to get one repaired or has anyone a spare that will be willing to part with. I know how to remove the assembly from the steering wheel and column having done that to renew the wiring 9+ years ago but I have lost the photographs and drawings I made of the assembly at that time. Better still as I am now well stricken in years does anyone know of somebody who can repair these items for me. It is beyond the skills of my local classic car workshop. Any help or assistance will be much appreciated.

#2 2019-07-29 18:07:06

6743_Ted_Prest
Members

Re: Horn push + trafficator switch assembly

You should put your area that you live in,Ted

#3 2019-07-29 21:03:49

5750_David_Ralph
Members

Why not remove the assembly and see if you can locate the problem. It could be a simple fix that you can do yourself. If you need to send it somewhere for repair you will still need to remove it so I would suggest that is the first move.

I don't have a spare buy I currently have my steering dismantled so I can easily photograph the switch assembly and email you the pictures if it helps.

#4 2019-07-30 04:58:29

David Johnson

I would be grateful for any help. I live in the Colchester area CO9 1XA and I am a club member number 7204 but because I have changed my computer twice and also my email having been scammed before the system will not let me sign in using a password.

I have already tried fixing the semaphore switch but the "Paxalin" (?) plate on which the contacts are mounted has cracked and the spring assembly which holds the electrical contacts to the conductors has disintegrated.

I am really asking other club members as a last resort hoping someone will have a spare horn push and indicator switch with stator tube assembly, There was one on sale on e bay recently but I missed it. There is a similar one for a post war car but he wants £237 for it and although some people believe classic car owners are rich beyond the dreams of avarice I only worked for the NHS.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as other drivers don't understand hand signals.

#5 2019-07-30 08:35:19

8617_Mr_Syd_Smith
Members

David there are always chancers on fleabay that put silly prices on stuff and surprisingly folks fall for it. I use a lot of toner cartridges and always prefer genuine to copies, the prices on fleabay vary from £25 post free to £220-230 post extra, you pays your money and takes your chance.

These often come up on fleabay and usually sell for about £50 here is one 

LUCAS-TCS34P-Horn-Push-Indicator-Switch-Vintage-SS-Jaguar-Riley-Austin/233289658612?hash=item365125b0f4:g:J0AAAOSwSzZdGMa6

#6 2019-07-30 15:15:37

813_Peter_Winney
Administrator

David Johnson wrote:

I would be grateful for any help. I live in the Colchester area ...........and I am a club member ................but because I have changed my computer twice and also my email having been scammed before the system will not let me sign in using a password.

David
RE unable to sign in: I suggest you phone membership services on the No. shown in the magazine (inside front cover) and get their advice on setting up your members login again using your current email.

The members area is secure and you will be better off using that to swap information with other members. Regards
PW

Reconnaissance is seldom wasted

#7 2019-07-31 08:37:54

5547_John_Chapman
Members

Hi David
Email me at jchapman386@gmail.com with your phone number as I have some spares.
Regards J Chapman

Board footer