Indicator lights

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
roberto

Indicator lights

Post by roberto » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:53 am

Hi everyone, many thanks for allowing me to join.
I have just purchased a 1935 Austin Lichfield, it has no indicator lights, does anyone know where I can purchase these from, I am new to vintage car restoration work, any advice would be much appreciated, many thanks.

peter_winney

Re: Indicator lights

Post by peter_winney » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:36 pm

Some of the suppliers of classic and vintage car parts sell bits that can be put together to create a set. You will need wiring, the indicator units, a flasher unit, switch, dashlamp, and dash panel for the last two. If you want hazards a separate hazard flasher unit and switch. Sources of parts include Halfords (not my favourite but probably cheapest). Classic and vintage car part suppliers can provide indicator lamps that are more "period" in appearance, including some within a Pork Pie style rear lamp. Some may even offer sets of parts and / or services to fit them.

If you are a member of the Club Technical Sheet No 8 is available in the members area of the main part of this website or by email from the Tech Rep (details in the magazine). This includes a guide on how to incorporate the semaphores in the same system - but you will need 2 flasher units (not just one) and two panel lights. (But Hazards might not be possible).

A popular alternative to fitting wart-like orange flashers is to incorporate the system within the existing sidelights using special LEDs to provide the orange flasher. I believe there is a company that will do this for you but they are unlikely to be cheap.

Peter W
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

Ivor Hawkins

Re: Indicator lights

Post by Ivor Hawkins » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:41 pm

Welcome aboard Roberto! Obviously, your Lichfield wasn’t fitted with indicators, I use hand signals, but these days, particularly at night, many drivers are nervous that their signals won’t be seen and I can understand that.
An interesting alternative you may want to consider are wireless led bicycle indicators, which you can clip to the bumpers and control from the drivers seat with a switch.
No wiring, no relays, and the car can be returned to original in 30 seconds!
Look at led wireless bicycle indicators on eBay, they are about 20 to 30 quid for a full set.