Dynamo wiring screws?

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
Phylismary

Dynamo wiring screws?

Post by Phylismary » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:02 pm

Hi all…

My father passed away in June and has left me his cherished 10/4

The only problem is he was in the process of fitting a new fuse box with the intention of solving a long standing challenge of trying to get the battery to charge ,.
As far as I know the dynamo has been fully reconditioned ….

I’ve managed to get a good auto electrician to tidy up the wiring as it was all over the place ( mid repair)

We’ve got it running and nearly got all the lights burn etc working as they should..
But…. There’s two brass screws missing from the dynamo that secure the two wires … I’ve searched everywhere but can’t find them …. …can anyone point me in the right direction to buy replacements or know what size and thread they are ??
Jason Wilkins- son of Terry Wilkins of Cleethorpes

Rod

Re: Dynamo wiring screws?

Post by Rod » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:14 am

Hi Jason,
I think they are 1/4 -26 (i.e.1/4 BSF) the same as the screw used in generic Lucas fuse & junction box terminal blocks. They would usually be zinc plated slot headed screws. Not too difficult to make your own, but the likes of Holdens/Classic Dynamo & Regulator Conversion etc should be able to supply them.

stephen_voller

Post by stephen_voller » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:21 pm

Most vintage electrical screw threads are B.A.

Rod

Post by Rod » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:34 pm

Hello Stephen,
Yes, you are correct, most of them are, and Lucas does seem to have a fondness for 2BA for anything under 1/4 diameter.
I had a vague recollection of working on an early Lucas system years ago, making a mental note at that time that it looked like it used the same terminals on the generator as the control box, hence the suggestion.

To check (just for my own peace of mind) I went out to the shed just now and checked the screws on junked RJF91 regulator/junction box with a pitch gauge and a spare 1/4 BSF nut and I can confirm that they are 1/4 -26 BSF. Probably we will have to wait to hear back from the OP for 100% confirmation :)