Austin 10 steering

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
roberto

Austin 10 steering

Post by roberto » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:18 pm

Hi, I have recently purchased a 1935 Austin 10, there's a little play on the steering wheel, and when driving the car, it's difficult to keep in a straight line, back and forth across the road. Can the steering wheel be tightened up? is there anything that can be done to the steering mechanism to make it drive a bit better. I'm not a car mechanic, and I know it's an old car and won't be perfect, any advice would be much appreciated.

Ivor Hawkins

Re: Austin 10 steering

Post by Ivor Hawkins » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:40 pm

Understandably, there will be a certain amount of play at the steering wheel, quite possibly about two inches, which in my experience would be quite normal.

You can adjust the box to remove play, but you have to be careful not to end up with tight spots, particularly either side of the straight ahead position.

My first checks would be to check play in the steering joints, before even looking at the steering box, then check the geometry, you only have to be a few degrees out on something like castor angle t9 have the car wandering all over the road.

Another thing in my experience is a very light touch on the steering, don’t try and over correct, gently allow the car to follow the contours in the road. I steer both Sevens and Tens with just a few fingers on the wheel and you can relax, gently correcting any wander....it’s all part of driving any old car, not just an Austin!

roberto

Post by roberto » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:22 pm

Many thanks for your reply, I think you're probably right about driving these old cars, I've only been out in my new Austin 10 a couple of times, and I've been panicking and fighting with the steering, I shall take your advice and try and calm down, many thanks.

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:14 am

Cross Ply tyres tend to follow the bumps and ridges in the road. I too use just finger tips for steering on the Cambridge. The earlier cars have a strange geometry in the steering gear in which the arc of movement of the front axle and the arc of movement of the steering drag link go in opposite directions. This necessitates a sprung joint in the drag link. The effect on the steering on a bumpy road is of the steering wheel jiggling in the hands as the car goes along straight. Another reason for not gripping it too tight.

Of course it is worth making sure that the king pins, spring eyes, track rod ends etc are all in good condition
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

roberto

Post by roberto » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:44 pm

Many thanks