Sun roof

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
mike

Sun roof

Post by mike » Fri May 12, 2023 7:30 pm

Thinkng of buying a car with a missing sun roof, with a vinyl covering which is patched and looks aweful, Did a Lichfield many years ago. which had nothing on the roof at all. Trying to remember how I did it. Think I covered it with thin plywood, stuck on the vinyl then used half round aluminium strip round the edges. What is worrying me is getting the vinyl stuck down evenly with no bubbles, think I used contact adhesive. Has any one else done such a job and have you any tips. Thanks Mike

phil_taylor

Re: Sun roof

Post by phil_taylor » Sat May 13, 2023 7:48 am

Did this about 10 years ago by extending the wood frame over the opening, fitting aluminium sheet already covered in vinyl, probably rexine, and refitting the frame in the roof. Did not have a particular problem over air bubbles. Got 2 photos but option for attachments has disappeared!!!

Ivor Hawkins

Re: Sun roof

Post by Ivor Hawkins » Sun May 14, 2023 10:41 am

You could always replace the sunroof with what was fitted originally, I’m sure Martin Prior could provide the woodwork and Andrew Goodfellow might be Albee to provide the metalwork, both chaps certainly provide the bits for Sevens and if I remember correctly, they are almost identical.

The workmanship is superb and not ridiculously expensive. I was lucky enough to be able to salvage the original metalwork on mine, but all the rest was missing. I’ll attempt to post a picture, but that can be a challenge!