Austin Light 12/6 Harley - Fuel Pump

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
Pjhardacre

Austin Light 12/6 Harley - Fuel Pump

Post by Pjhardacre » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:00 pm

Hi all
I'm just starting to get my newly acquired 12/6 running. Once I've replaced the head gasket we should be away, but...

It looks like the fuel pump maybe the wrong (earlier) type. The car is a 1934 model with Zenith 30 UX05 carb, but with a AC Model B pump, which looks to have been modified! Am I correct in thinking the correct pump is the AC T Type?

Also, does anyone know what the correct tappet clearance and spark plug gap please?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

peter_christie

Re: Austin Light 12/6 Harley - Fuel Pump

Post by peter_christie » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:55 pm

Hi PJ,

I have an AUSTIN Twelve Six List of Spare Parts Book Publication Number 807 dated Feb. '31 which lists a Zenith Updraught Carburetter fed by an AC Fuel Pump with a glass filter incorporated on the inlet side. I have a more modern version of the same AC Fuel Pump that I would be prepared to sell for £30.00 plus postage, if you are interested. The original Part No. is FH15.

Regards

Peter Christie [6515]

6350_William_French

Re: Austin Light 12/6 Harley - Fuel Pump

Post by 6350_William_French » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:08 pm

According to my Data sheet
Sparking plug gaps are 18/20 thou
And Tappet clearances 4 thou when hot (this I have found impossible to do) so have compromised and use 6 thou cold.
Tony Mealings book on the light Austin 12 also suggests 6 thou cold. Remember to ensure the top of the tappet screw is flat or you will never get an accurate tappet setting

From Bill French