Josie is home

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
BrianEvans

Josie is home

Post by BrianEvans » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:39 pm

Hi everyone ,we have collected Josie from Essex ,she is now in Shropshire👍 .She is a 1937 Austin 10 Cambridge.We bought it as a non runner thinking it needed a new starter ,turns out it was just a sticking solenoid,result 😊 We are going to do some extensive work on it . The car was originally brown but is now maroon over black which we love and will keep it that colour.The interior is the original brown but we will re-trim it in a nice deep red to compliment the maroon .We will also get the sunroof working probably and put a set of new period tyres on it .

peter_winney

Re: Josie is home

Post by peter_winney » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:04 pm

For tyres for the 10 Cambridge ATDC recommend:-
  • Longstone Tyres - 01302 711123
    and
  • North Hants Tyres - 01252 318666
I believe North Hants are offering discounts this month - link to site (open in new window) https://www.hotdeals.com/coupons/north- ... ional-code

I have used Lonstones for my Cambridge - https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... n/ten.html - (open in new window) and can recommend them. I used my local tyre fitter - Bathwick Tyres - to fit the tyres and tubes.

web-tyres.JPG
web-tyres.JPG (84.47 KiB) Viewed 13169 times
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

BrianEvans

Post by BrianEvans » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:12 pm

Hi Peter ,thanks for the reply, yes I’m familiar with those companies because we have our own tyre and fast fit centre in our local town. We have been in the tyre industry for 50yrs and had our own business for 39yrs . I have been looking at what both of those companies have to offer and I’m favouring the Avon Tourist . But I want to speak to Blockley Tyres to get some information about their tyres because they produce a tyre with a period tread pattern . I will post which way I decide to go 👍.
Best regards
Brian & Jo

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:16 pm

The Blockley Tyres are an earlier pattern of tread than suits the Cambridge and may not come in the same size. They look good on the chrome-rad cars.
Member since July 1972

BrianEvans

Post by BrianEvans » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:27 pm

Thanks Peter that’s interesting,they do make the size which is 550/16 ,but are you saying that that tread pattern would not have been fitted to a 1937 Cambridge?

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:03 am

I don't know that but the block pattern does look more "vintage" to me. Also I suspect it is less grippy than the sipes used on the Avons. I believe the Avon design tread is post-war, but again that is hunch rather than knowledge.
Member since July 1972

BrianEvans

Post by BrianEvans » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:50 am

Thank you Peter 👍

BrianEvans

Post by BrianEvans » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:11 pm

Well we are well into the restoration now ,all the interior is stripped out and going for re trimming.New door cards are being made because the old one have gone beyond repair,all the leather work is being done because it had gone beyond rescue.stripped the wings off today to begin the preparation work to get it ready for the paint shop at the end of next month.
Looking forward to getting her mobile.just wish I knew how to add photos 🙄 but the site and forum are not easy to use.
Brian & Jo

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:48 pm

Brian
There is a guide on loading photos in the members forum. Basically you need to prepare your photo by compressing it for the web and in your post click on add attachment and select the compressed pic from your photo-file then click on place inline. You may need to click return key once or twice to give it space from the text.
Peter W
Member since July 1972

BrianEvans

Post by BrianEvans » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:26 pm

Hi Peter,you say “members forum” , which forum is this ?😳 and I’ve just tried to log onto the website and it’s saying I’m using the wrong username and password ,I am a member of a couple of other websites and forums but this one is definitely the hardest to navigate in fact it’s so time consuming to actually log on I’m not even going to attempt the photos,shame really cos this part of it was going to be a big part of our Austin 10 journey🙁
Brian & Jo