Cambridge

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
mike

Re: Cambridge

Post by mike » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:43 am

Many thanks to everyone for great information, the only thing I now need to know,is if I cannot find any wires there, does the new wire need a specific rating. Thanks p.s going to run with 12v bulb
Last edited by mike on Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:19 am

mike wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:43 am
Many thanks to everyone for great information, the only thing I now need to know,is if I cannot find any wires there, does the new wire need a specific rating. Thanks
If it is the D wire I think the short answer is "beefy" as it takes the charge from the dynamo, but I don't know how to calculate ratings. The only rewiring I have ever done on a Ten I used wires stripped out of a 12 year old scrap car.
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

Rod

Post by Rod » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:25 am

Peter & Mike:
No, the lamp is not part of the high-current circuit.
It illuminates in response to the difference in voltage between the car power supply network downstream of the voltage regulator and the output voltage of the generator upstream of the voltage regulator(i.e. B+ vs Vgen in modern terms)
The charging system will be functional even if the warning light circuit is fully open circuited, and some cars of the era, even with the latest tech of the day (the 2-brush CVC system!!), never had a lamp and relied on the operator eyeballing the ammeter.
Later ~50s/60s vehicles with generator systems typically use a 2.2W globe, which for a 12v system is 2.2/12 = ~ 0.18A so any 9/0.3 cable or 14/.012 cable (which is rated at 5.75A) will be well over-specc'd for this application.
Note, you need a 2-terminal socket* as unlike most warning lamps which sink battery voltage to earth, the globe filament has to be effectively across the output terminal of the generator and the output of the ignition switch.
Edit: *for instance Lucas SPB354 or similar. Your typical LED one most likely wont work (unless its non-polarised).

mike

Post by mike » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:48 pm

Hi Rod by two terminal socket do you mean the warning light has to have two connectins one for ignition and the other for the D connection, this is the type I have ordered which takes a 12v bulb, does it matter which connection goes to which Thanks Mike

Rod

Post by Rod » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:03 am

Hey Mike,
Yes, two connections. Two 1/4 inch Lucar( = spade) terminals or two screw terminals etc
It doesn't matter which way around you wire it.
All the Best,
Rod

mike

Post by mike » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:51 am

Thanks for all the info, now got it clear in my head what to do Cheers Mike

mike

Post by mike » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:23 pm

Just a quick update hope I have done it correct. Took my live from the fuel gauge, tested which connection was the switched live by taking them off and using a test lamp. Wired up to the D connection on control box eureka, one working ignition warning lamp, started car and when revs increased just a little out it went, petrol gauge working too. I must thank everyone for their most valued help. Regards Mike Hobson

Rod

Post by Rod » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:32 pm

Good to hear, thanks for the feedback!