Seats

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
mike

Seats

Post by mike » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:56 pm

A big ask please, sure I've seen somewhere that some one had done their bases of their front seats. I have got the covering leather off, with little or no damage, but the complexity of construction of the coil springs and how they are fastened I think is going to defeat me, the springs have sagged especially at the rear. How have other people managed, it doesn't look easy to replace the springs. Failing that has anyone got any front seat bases in good condition, no sagging that they are willing to part with. Thanks Mike p.s. for a 1937 Cambridge

Rod

Re: Seats

Post by Rod » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:44 am

Just my two bobsworth Mike, if you're talking about the coil springs and wiggly wire type in a steel frame (I've seen them called 'spring cases')there are a few suppliers who make them up for more exotic cars (like Austin Healey 3000s/XK 140 Jaguars) who seem to be able to source the components, maybe they can give you a lead? Wheatley & Morgan mention a firm called T P Colledge as a supplier in their book, but Uncle Google shows nothing by that name exists any more. Also your ordinary upholstery repairer who you'd take your sofa to might have something because a bit of high end stuff still uses springs instead of foam squabs.

mike

Re: Seats

Post by mike » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:04 pm

Went late yesterday, to a car upholsterer who I have dealt with before. He said he could do the springs which were not broken and reset them all, but the easiest way was to use foam which would be much cheaper, so that's the way I am going. Will save the springs if anyone wants to return to original. He did say the coil springs were in very good condition, and in the past they used to use foam inserts to boost them. Mike