Austin 12/4 my chassis number v DVLA info

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
PhilSewards

Austin 12/4 my chassis number v DVLA info

Post by PhilSewards » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:02 pm

Hi,

I really hope someone can help, I inherited my 12/4 from my dad who didn't keep the V5. After a lot of back and forth I'm at a bit of an impasse with regard to chassis numbers. DVLA say there should be eight characters (numbers and letters) but my chassis number falls short of that being H34257. They have conceded that it starts with H/R though. Does anyone have any ideas what number the DVLA would hold?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Phil

woody

Re: Austin 12/4 my chassis number v DVLA info

Post by woody » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:59 pm

I can only suggest you send them alot of pictures.

Some showing the chassis plate, zooming out gradually to show the whole car, including the number plate.

DVLA get a lot of stick in the classic world for being very awkward.

Does the club have a DVLA liaison officer ?

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:09 pm

Phil
H34257 is a legitimate chassis No. for an Austin Light 12/4 11.9hp dating from 1936 - probably June or July. If it is a saloon it will be an Ascot with a Car No (Body No) prefix HBX and 5 numbers, though the plate may be missing. That may be the 8 character No. that DVLA is expecting. Your engine block should also have a number stamped in it 1H & then a 5 digit No. If the original engine this will usually be a higher No.than the chasis No. (tho' not always). For example H32541 has an engine 1H32840 and car No HBX21363.

An HR number would be a New Ascot and date from August 1936 on.

If the car was driven in the UK at any time in the last 30 years it will have had a V5 and should still appear on the DVLA computer under the Reg. No.

The club can assist you with DVLA applications - see contact details on this site @ https://www.austintendriversclub.com/contact-us.php

The car does not appear to be previously known to the club.
Peter W
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

peter_christie

Post by peter_christie » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:01 pm

Hi Phil and Peter,

H/R Series started with H34729, so your car is within the last 500 of the more upright Ascots produced before the introduction of the New Ascot.
As Peter said, the Car Number will be HBX followed by a five figure number. I have never owned an Ascot, although that is the car on which I learned to drive. I have had many pleasant years of ownership of a New Ascot and have a great interest in the development of the Light Twelve series.

Peter Christie

PhilSewards

Post by PhilSewards » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:29 pm

Many thanks all, the car hasn't seen the road since probably the 70's. My dad bought it as a wreck and restored it, famously saying "it'll be ready for the spring". Only problem was, he didn't state which spring! He got it about 90% finished but I think lost interest in his later years. I've had the car for 8 years now and am really torn with what to do with it. It's sat in a museum at the moment because I have nowhere to store it but I thought a good place to start would be getting it registered and your information will be a massive help!

Thank you very much,

Phil