Highway Code 2022

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
peter_winney

Highway Code 2022

Post by peter_winney » Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:19 pm

Decided it was time to replace my 1987 Highway Code with the new one. Sadly lost my Ernest Marples version many moons ago.

In 2022 when the latest version came out there was lots of bruhaha in the motoring press & elsewhere claiming it as anti-motorist and pro-cycling. Much was said about the "1.5m" distance for passing cyclists in Rule 163 & it has been interesting to see that more motorists now give cyclists more room when passing. There was nearly as much written about allowing pedestrians to cross at road junctions - the 2nd bullet of Rule 170 - but this is not really any more than a clarification of what the previous Highway Codes said, and in the USA they enforce this.

Things I have learned:-
  • If you have to stop in a tunnel. leave at least a 5-metre gap between you and the vehicle in front - part of Rule 126.
  • The difference between Pelican & Puffin crossings - Rules 23 & 199. But I still cannot see the need for the 2 types.
  • That when parking at night where the speed limit is 40mph or more you must switch on parking lights - Rule 249.
  • You must not smoke, or allow anyone else to smoke, in an enclosed private vehicle carrying someone under 18 - part of Rule 148
Things that are never enforced:-
  • Max speed limits for cars towing caravans / trailers - part of Rule 124
  • Parking at night facing against the direction of traffic flow - Rule 248
Anomalies:-
  • Rules H1 and 67 appear to encourage cyclists to overtake on the left and Rule 170 appears to put the onus on the driver to avoid them - but Rule 74 instucts cyclists not to ride on the inside of vehicles signalling left or slowing down.
  • Rule 145 says you must not drive on or over the pavement, except for access. Rule 144 permits parking on the pavement (outside London). But you cannot do that unless you first drive onto the pavement which is forbidden by Rule 145.
  • The Horn - Annex 6 - Vehicle Maintenance & Safety - requires you to have a working "audible warning system" But you cannot test this because Rule 112 only allows you to use the horn when moving & to warn other road users of your presence.
Gaps:-
Rule 176 about traffic lights includes advice "If the traffic lights are not working, treat the situation as you would an unmarked junction and proceed with great care". Sadly there is no advice in the new Highway Code about how to treat unmarked junctions. Possibly because they have all been done away with!

When I took my test in Harrow the test route included several unmarked junctions and the local driving instructors made sure that all their pupils were well-drilled in crossing them in every possible direction.
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

stephen_voller

Re: Highway Code 2022

Post by stephen_voller » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:45 pm

Merry Christmas Peter.

I bought what I thought was the updated Highway code off of Amazon and it was a fake one!
I reported to Amazon and got a refund and ended up ordering direct via .GOV website.
If I've already discussed this earlier in the year please accept my apologies for the repetition :D

I also noticed the contradiction ref cyclists passing on the inside...

peter_winney

Re: Highway Code 2022

Post by peter_winney » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:26 am

When it first came out in 2022 the shops were full of imitations - apparently authorised but all at a higher price than the official one which I could not find anywhere at that time.

My first experience of official road training was the Met Police demo given in the street to the pupils at my primary school. Lots of knock-about business involving a black Wolseley & a plod on a bike, door of former being opened & knocking the plod off his bike culminating in mock road rage etc. A nice touch was a roll up zebra crossing!
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new