Sticking valve

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
TrevAustin10

Sticking valve

Post by TrevAustin10 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:23 am

Hi is there a guide to sticking vales changing / replacing how to do it. Thanks Trev

Ivor Hawkins

Re: Sticking valve

Post by Ivor Hawkins » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:37 am

Hi Trev, having suffered this myself after the car had been off the road for a long time, I’ve done this job several times! Since using the car regularly, the problem hasn’t recurred.

Anyway, you can try “cheating” by trying Liqui Moly in the petrol, I have found that very effective five freeing off a sticking valve, but the proper way to do it is to whip the head off, turn the motor over on the handle to see which valve is sticking and pull the valve…you may need to use careful but substantial force!

You can get valve guide cleaners (I’ll attempt to attach a picture but can’t promise it will work!) or ream the guide to the correct size, give the valve thorough clean and reassemble, which should sort it.

Then to make sure the valves don’t stick again, remember to take you Austin out for a good run every week…do the shopping in it!

Ah, can’t post a picture here, if you are a club member I can post the pic in the club section, just let me know, but they look like a spiral spring attached to a drill shank.

TrevAustin10

Post by TrevAustin10 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:57 am

Hi I am a club member have been for years, and thought I was posting on the members page. This is the first time I have done a post so not sure how to post on the members page?

Ivor Hawkins

Post by Ivor Hawkins » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:22 am

Hi Trev, you need to log in with a username and password.

I linked to the forum via the ATDC web site under the members area and then set up my user name and password and that opens up the main forum where there are a range of different headings such as technical, events and that sort of thing.