Looking for a 100/4

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
B.Simon

Looking for a 100/4

Post by B.Simon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:12 pm

Hello,
I’m not sure whether this is the right place to ask but I figured I’d give it a try.

I’m 26 years old and wanting to get into the vintage/prewar car scene. Having grown up with old English cars like the Austin Healey 100/4 a Riley Monaco special and a Austin Healey Sprite MK I, I would also like to own a vintage English car.

Therefore I am looking to buy an Austin 10/4 Colwyn or Open Tourer.
But of course there is a reason I am asking you people here. I just finished Uni and my budget isn’t to big (max. around 10000£)
I know I won’t be able to find a perfect car for this price. An old paint job is fine, as long as the car can be driven on the road.
(I am not looking for a project car.)

Thank you for reading! Do you know a car like that?
If you know someone willing to sell a 10/4 please feel free to send me a message! I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Benedict

6350_William_French

Re: Looking for a 100/4

Post by 6350_William_French » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:48 pm

Hi
For £5,000 to £7,500 you should be able to buy a really nice Austin 10 or 12.
Try joining the ATDC you will get a monthly magazine which usually advertises 4 or 5 Austins for sale in this price bracket.
If you eventually buy an Austin 10 you will probably end up joining the club anyway (you don't have to own a car to join).
Buying from a dealer will obviously be a bit more expensive , but still within your price range.
Regards from Bill

peter_winney

Re: Looking for a 100/4

Post by peter_winney » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:09 pm

Benedict

An Austin 10/4 is a good choice. But of course we would say that wouldn’t we?

Any Austins of the 1930s is a simple, solid, dependable & reliable (if maintained and used regularly) and fun motor car. Not a rare and expensive antique so ideal to use and enjoy.

It will not give you high performance (cruise about 40 to 45, slow acceleration and braking) but will feel as though it is going fast – especially with the hood down and the wind in your hair. It will feel different from modern cars as nothing is power operated – but the controls on a Ten are light relative to many other cars of the 1930s. Running costs are low.

Insure through the Club scheme and get a reduced and competitive quote. Parts if needed are mostly cheap and available.

As Bill says you should be able to get one in nice condition and running order within your price range. Open cars may be near the top end though – seek them out now before the Spring open top rush!

Peter W
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new